Sunday, June 16, 2013
Optimistic Cynic
yes. this.
Field Guide to the Cynic from Psychology Today
There are many who gnaw at my wits for being so cynical, but I'm naturally an optimist who became a cynic as a coping mechanism. Yes good things happen, but when you expect the best and are let down over and over, it makes sense to prepare for the negative outcome so it's less of a blow. Yet, I think it's important to stay open to a positive outcome because that is really what you want. If you focus too much on the negative, of course the negative outcome will be all you will be open to receive.
I say this as I've been slinking back into my overly cynical shell and have just about given up on the idea that life will let anything be easy for me, but that is why I go to therapy and take happy pills.
I have yet to find a therapist or medication that can convince me that at this point in my life it would be anything other than naive to think anything will fall into place nicely in my life for more than a few hours. I am always open to those few hours of occasional glory though... moments worth living for.
And you can have the opinion that I have a bad attitude... it works for me. I attempted to have a good attitude for many years and I was more unhappy. It's my opinion that people who are talking positive all the time live in denial. Sometimes I make the mistake of thinking it's my job to shake people's cages (because they forget they are there), but I try not to do that anymore. Some birds want to be caged. I don't get it, but to each their own... and I'm sorry I can never be good friends with you because I will want to pull you out of your cage and show you all the awesomeness that goes on outside of a cage.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment